Widespread Bad Driving Habits
Updated August 5, 2020 | Infoplease Staff
Based on the average scores on a 20-question driving test commissioned by the GMAC Insurance Company, the most knowledgeable drivers in the U.S. are from Kansas and the least knowledgeable are from New York.
|49.||District of Columbia|
Source: General Motors Acceptance Corporation (GMAC) Insurance National Drivers Test administered to 5,000 licensed drivers nationwide.
According to the GMAC survey:
- 50% report that they do not know how to merge into heavy traffic.
- 60% say that they change lanes on a highway without using their blinker.
- 17% percent of Americans have driven without a rear view or driver's side mirror.
- 20% do not know that a pedestrian has the right of way at a marked or unmarked crosswalk.
- 25% drivers would roll through a stop sign rather than come to a complete stop.
- One-third admit they speed up to make a yellow light even when pedestrians are in the crosswalk.
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.