Football Records Quiz
Career Rushing Yards in the Regular Season
- Emmitt Smith ran for over 18,000 yards in 14 years. The nearest active player to that record is Frank Gore, who ran 15,000 yards over the same time.
Longest Kick Return
- Cobb and Jones both returned for 108 yards. Patterson returned a long kick for 109 yards, the mathematically longest possible return. Others might tie it, but this record is here to stay.
Regular Season Games Started
- The king of retirement fakeouts still hold the record for games started over his 19 year career. Tom Brady and Jerry Rice are nearly tied at 283 and 284 games respectively, but Brett Favre has 298. Brady would have to start every game for one more season.
Playoff Games Started
- Tom Brady has nearly doubled the next-closest number of postseason appearances over the Patriots historic string of playoff appearances. Favre started 24 postseason games, Jerry Rice started 29, and Brady has started 41 postseason games.
Total Field Goals Made
- Vinatieri, whose field goals famously won the Patriots two Super Bowls, holds the career record for Field Goals Made by a wide margin. He has made 599 field goals over his illustrious career as a kicker, compared to Andersen's 565 and Anderson's 538.
Career Passing Touchdowns in the Regular Season
- If we factor in post-season touchdowns, Tom Brady would have the most. But, Drew Brees has the most career touchdowns in NFL history, followed by Tom Brady then Peyton Manning.
Single-Game Passing Yards
- Most quiz-takers won't know Norm Van Brocklin, who was a star before the Super Bowl era. But, Van Brocklin threw an as-yet-uncontested 554 yards in a single game back in 1952, when he led the LA Rams to victory against the defunct New York Yanks.
- Bruce Smith, who played defense for the Buffalo Bills during their four consecutive Super Bowls, leads the league with 200 career sacks. Reggie White is a close second with 198. The two of them have a more than 50 sack lead over any active player.
- Robert Mathis forced an average of four fumbles a season during his career with the Indianapolis Colts, totaling 54 fumbles. That's a lot of turnovers.