Winter Olympics Quiz: Salt Lake City Recap
Norway's Ole Einar Bjoerndalen won four gold medals at Salt Lake City. In what sport did he do it?
- Bjoerndalen swept gold in all 3 individual biathlon events and he led Norway to gold in the team event.
Swiss ski jumper Simon Ammann became known for the two gold medals he won at Salt Lake City and for his resemblance to what famous fictional character?
- Amman's dark hair and wire frame glasses gave him more than a passing resemblance to J.K. Rowling's boy wizard. No word if he suffered a lightning shaped scar on his forehead in any training accidents.
What was the lucky charm that the Canadians buried in the ice at the Salt Lake City rink?
- The ice specialists from the NHL's Edmonton Oilers dropped a Canadian golden dollar, nicknamed a Loonie, into the ice to bring their national teams luck on foreign ice.
What American won gold in the snowboarding halfpipe at the 2002 Olympic Games?
- Powers took the gold, Kass the Silver, and Thomas the bronze.
At Salt Lake City in 2002, Germany's Georg Hackl became the first Olympian, Winter or Summer to win five medals in the same event. In what event did Hackl make history?
- Hackl won silver at Salt Lake City to go with the three golds and one silver he won from 1988-1998.
What country won the most medals at the Salt Lake City Games?
- Germany won 35 medals, one more than the second-place Americans.
What did biathletes Raphael Poiree and Liv Grete Poiree have in common besides both winning two silvers at Salt Lake City in 2002?
- They became the first married couple to win Winter Olympic medals for two different countries (France and Norway, respectively).
What American set a world record in speed skating at Salt Lake City in 2002?
- Parra set the world mark in men's 1500 meters. Christine Witty also set a world record in the women's 1000 meters.
Who won the ladies' singles figure skating gold medal at Salt Lake City?
- Hughes scored the huge upset and skated a near perfect final routine for the surprise gold medal.
How many nations competed at the Winter Games in 2002 at Salt Lake City?
- A record 78 nations competed (only 25 medaled) in 2002. At Turin in 2006, 85 nations will be represented.