Winter Olympics Quiz
Which country won the most overall medals at the 1998 Winter Games in Nagano?
- The Germans won 29 medals in 1998 (12G, 9S, 8B). Norway was runner-up with 25 (10G, 10S, 5B). Russia was third with 18 and Austria was fourth with 17.
Which city was host to the most recent Winter Olympics in North America?
- The Winter Olympics were held in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, in 2010, Salt Lake City, Utah in 2002 and Lake Placid, NY, in 1980.
Olympic lugers often reach maximum speeds of approximately:
- Amazingly, speeds in luge can reach upwards of 90 mph. With no brakes!!
Who is the youngest athlete to win a Winter Olympic gold medal in an individual event.
- Lipinski was 15 when she won gold at Nagano in 1998.
Which of the following is a real figure skating move named after a former Olympic gold medal winner?
- The Hamill Camel, where a skater turns a camel spin into a sitting spin, was named for 1976 American gold medalist Dorothy Hamill.
Which former football star was also a member of the 1992 U.S. men's Olympic bobsled team in Albertville?
- Walker, the former Heisman Trophy winner and Dallas Cowboys star running back, teamed with Brian Shimer to finish seventh in the two-man bobsled competition.
Who is the only hockey player to win an Olympic gold medal and a Stanley Cup in the same year?
- Morrow was a defenseman for the U.S. 1980 team, then went to the pros where he won four consecutive Stanley Cups (1980-83) as a member of the New York Islanders. Cleary won the gold with the U.S. in 1960 but never played in the NHL. Gretzky won four Stanley Cups, but his 1998 Olympic appearance with the Canadian team earned no medal to bring home. Gretzky, however, was the general manager of the 2002 gold medal winning Canadian team and returned to helm the 2006 team.
Which of the following cities has not hosted the Winter Olympics TWICE?
- The Winter Games were held in Lake Placid in 1932 and 1980, St. Moritz in 1928 and 1948, and Oslo in 1952.
Who is the winningest woman medalist in Olympic history?
- The cross country skier has won 10 medals (four gold; five silver; one bronze).
With 12 overall medals, Norway's Bjorn Dahlie is the most decorated Winter Olympian of all time. But who has won the most medals for the United States?
- Between 20022010, Ohno won eight Olympic speed skating medals (two gold, two silver, and four bronze).