Which two teams have the oldest rivalry in the National Hockey League?
- Both the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montreal Canadiens were part of the original 6 NHL teams. Their rivalry dates as far back as 1917 and is considered the oldest NHL rivalry.
What is one of the oldest Major League Baseball rivalries?
- The rivalry between the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees is over a century old. While the rivalry existed early on, it wasn't as intense until after Babe Ruth joined the league.
What is the oldest National Football League rivalry?
- The rivalry between the Green Bay Packers and the Chicago Bears dates back to 1921. The "dirtiest play in NFL history" occurred during the 1982 "hit list" game between the two teams.
What is the oldest National Basketball Association rivalry?
- The rivalry between the LA Lakers and Boston Celtics dates back to 1948. The rivalry has been on and off for decades.
What is the oldest international soccer rivalry?
- The rivalry between Brazil and Argentina is considered the greatest rivalry in international soccer. The teams have been rivals since 1914.
Which of these has been called the greatest rivalry in boxing?
- Joe Frazier and Muhammad Ali were friends before facing each other in the boxing ring. Much of their tension originated from Frazier's silence regarding civil rights.
What college football rivalry has been dubbed "Toledo War"?
- The annual Toledo War college football game between Ohio State and Michigan has been a tradition since 1918. The rivalry itself began in 1897.
Which national soccer rivalry's matches are called "El Clasico"?
- The rivalry between Real Madrid and Barça is huge. The two teams are the most valuable sports teams in the world, and their matches are global events.
What is one of the longest tennis rivalries of all time?
- The rivalry between Chris Evert and Matina Navratilova lasted 16 years, beginning in 1973. The pair met 80 times during those 16 years.
What was one of the first rivalries in golf?
- Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus had a rivalry that many golf fans tuned in for. The pair often faced each other in the 1960s, but outside of golf, they became fast friends.