Kings of Israel and Judah
The Kingdoms of Israel
The historical kingdom of Israel existed as a united kingdom for only a brief period of time. As related in the Old Testament and the Hebrew Bible, it lasted for just a few generations. According to archaeologists, the Israelite kingdom might never have been unified; the division between Judah and Israel may have been always been the historical fact. We have kept the traditional list here with the House of David ruling a unified Israel, but it may have been the case that David ruled just in Judah.
Kings Before Division of Kingdom
- Saul: First King of Israel; son of Kish; father of Ish-Bosheth, Jonathan and Michal.
- Ish-Bosheth (or Eshbaal): King of Israel; son of Saul.
- David: King of Judah; later of Israel; son of Jesse; husband of Abigail, Ahinoam, Bathsheba, Michal, etc.; father of Absalom, Adonijah, Amnon, Solomon, Tamar, etc.
- Solomon: King of Israel and Judah; son of David; father of Rehoboam.
- Rehoboam: Son of Solomon; during his reign the kingdom was divided into Judah and Israel.
Kings of Judah (Southern Kingdom)
- Rehoboam: First King.
- Abijah (or Abijam or Abia): Son of Rehoboam.
- Asa: Probably son of Abijah.
- Jehoshaphat: Son of Asa.
- Jehoram (or Joram): Son of Jehoshaphat; husband of Athaliah.
- Ahaziah: Son of Jehoram and Athaliah.
- Athaliah: Daughter of King Ahab of Israel and Jezebel; wife of Jehoram; only queen to occupy the throne of Judah.
- Joash (or Jehoash): Son of Ahaziah.
- Amaziah: Son of Joash.
- Uzziah (or Azariah): Son of Amaziah.
- Jotham: Regent, later King; son of Uzziah.
- Ahaz: Son of Jotham.
- Hezekiah: Son of Ahaz; husband of Hephzi-Bah.
- Manasseh: Son of Hezekiah and Hephzi-Bah.
- Amon: Son of Manasseh.
- Josiah (or Josias): Son of Amon.
- Jehoahaz (or Joahaz): Son of Josiah.
- Jehoiakim: Son of Josiah.
- Jehoiachin: Son of Jehoiakim.
- Zedekiah: Son of Josiah; kingdom overthrown by Babylonians under Nebuchadnezzar.
Kings of Israel (Northern Kingdom)
- Jeroboam I: Led secession of Israel.
- Nadab: Son of Jeroboam I.
- Baasha: Overthrew Nadab.
- Elah: Son of Baasha.
- Zimri: Overthrew Elah.
- Omri: Overthrew Zimri.
- Ahab: Son of Omri; husband of Jezebel.
- Ahaziah: Son of Ahab.
- Jehoram (or Joram): Son of Ahab.
- Jehu: Overthrew Jehoram.
- Jehoahaz (or Joahaz): Son of Jehu.
- Jehoash (or Joash): Son of Jehoahaz.
- Jeroboam Il: Son of Jehoash.
- Zechariah: Son of Jeroboam II.
- Shallum: Overthrew Zechariah.
- Menahem: Overthrew Shallum.
- Pekahiah: Son of Menahem.
- Pekah: Overthrew Pekahiah.
- Hoshea: Overthrew Pekah; kingdom overthrown by Assyrians under Sargon II.
- Major. Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel.
- Minor. Hosea, Obadiah, Nahum, Haggai, Joel, Jonah, Habakkuk, Zechariah, Amos, Micah, Zephaniah, Malachi.