NBA Mascots Quiz
Which mascot is this, used by the Detroit Pistons?
- Hooper replaced the previous Detroit mascot, Sir Slams a Lot, in the late 90s. Hooper takes inspiration from the same source as the Pistons' logo; the "horsepower" of the engines back when Detroit was a famous center for car manufacturing.
Which mascot is this, used by the Oklahoma City Thunder?
- According to the Oklahoma City Thunder website: "Rumble is the subject of a Native American tale that has been passed down for centuries, which tells of a bison who was struck by lightning while saving his herd from a storm in the Arbuckle Mountains."
Which mascot is this, used by the Chicago Bulls?
- Benny the Bull has been the Chicago mascot for decades, although the current iteration debuted in 2004. Benny is perhaps the most famous mascot, appearing in lots of media and attracting a huge following for his antics.
Which mascot is this, used by the Miami Heat?
- Burnie is an artist's attempt at anthropomorphizing the Miami Heat logo, a flaming basketball. This red-hot mascot was famously sued in the 1990s after dragging a woman onto the court to dance.
Which mascot is this, used by the Charlotte Hornets?
- Hugo the Hornet almost had his name changed when, a year after his debut, Hurricane Hugo devastated Charlotte. A fan poll kept his name. Another fun fact about Hugo, he was designed by the granddaughter of Muppet creator Jim Henson.
Which mascot is this, used by the Houston Rockets?
- This beloved bear gets his name from the nickname for Houston, "Clutch City," which is in reference to the clutch performance of the Houston Rockets in the 1990s.
Which mascot is this, used by the Indiana Pacers?
- Boomer was once part of a duo; the panther Boomer was accompanied by a dog, Bowser, for eight years. Boomer has been going solo since Bowser retired.
Which mascot is this, used by the Orlando Magic?
- Yes, the Orlando Magic have the best mascot name. Stuff the Magic Dragon is a reference to the very famous song "Puff the Magic Dragon" and to the "stuff," as in an intense or forceful block in basketball.
Which mascot is this, used by the Sacramento Kings?
- Slamson, the slam-dunking Lion who represents the Sacramento Kings, is named for the biblical hero Samson, who wore a lion pelt. In his character bio, his parents are named Sir Slam and Slamet.
Which mascot is this, used by the Boston Celtics?
- Lucky has been the Celtics mascot for many decades, and is one of the few mascots that doesn't wear any kind of mask. Hornswoggle was a real live action leprechaun though; he was a WWE character, a wrestling leprechaun who lived under the ring.