Which teams played in the first World Series?
- Boston won the first World Series, held in 1903, five games to three.
What team won the first Super Bowl?
- Green Bay beat Kansas City 35-10 in the first Super Bowl, which was played on January 15, 1967, in Los Angeles.
What boxer was named Cassius Clay at birth but later changed his name?
- After upsetting Sonny Liston in 1964 to become world heavyweight champion, Clay announced he had become a Black Muslim and had changed his name to Muhammad Ali.
Who was the first gymnast in Olympic history to score a perfect 10?
- Comaneci made history at the 1976 Olympics on the uneven bars. She went on to record six more perfect scores during those Olympic games.
Who was the first woman tennis player to win the Grand Slam?
- In 1953 Maureen Connolly won Wimbledon, the U.S. Open, the French Open, and the Australian Open. Only two other women have accomplished this feat: Margaret Court of Australia in 1970, and Steffi Graf of Germany in 1988.
What professional basketball player scored 100 points in one game—something no other player has accomplished?
- Philadelphia center Wilt Chamberlain scored a whopping 100 points against the New York Knicks on March 2, 1962.
Who was the first person to run a mile in less than 4 minutes?
- On May 6, 1954, Roger Bannister set a world record for the mile, running it in 3 minutes and 59.4 seconds.
Which tournament is NOT a part of the men's Grand Slam in professional golf?
- The PGA Championship, the Masters, the U.S. Open, and the British Open make up the Grand Slam.
What Major League Baseball team was the first to wear numbers on their jerseys?
- The Yankees started wearing numbers on their jerseys in 1929. The numbers represented the players' batting order.
What National Hockey League team has won the most Stanley Cups?
- The Canadiens have won 23 National Hockey League Championships.