Triple Crown Quiz
When did the three races become the Triple Crown?
The Preakness winner's colors are painted on which object at Maryland's Pimlico race course:
How many trainers have won more than one Triple Crown?
- James "Sunny Jim" Fitzsimmons (Gallant Fox in 1930 and Omaha in 1935) and Ben A. Jones (Whirlaway in 1941 and Citation in 1948)
How many horses have won the Triple Crown?
- Sir Barton, Gallant Fox, Omaha, War Admiral, Whirlaway, Count Fleet, Assault, Citation, Secretariat, Seattle Slew, and Affirmed are all Triple Crown Winners.
Who was the oldest jockey to win the Kentucky Derby?
- Shoemaker was 54 in 1986 when he won the Kentucky Derby aboard Ferdinand.
The winner of the Kentucky Derbythe "Run for the Roses"is draped in a blanket of roses. The horse who wins the Belmont is draped in blanket of what?
- The Belmont winner is draped with a blanket of carnations, and the Preakness winner is draped with a blanket of black-eyed Susans.
Which Triple Crown race has been run the longest?
- The Belmont Stakes was first run in 1867Ruthless, a filly, wonfollowed by the Preakness Stakes in 1873 and the Kentucky Derby in 1875.
Who was the first horse to win the three Triple Crown races?
- Sir Barton won the Triple Crown in 1919, followed by Gallant Fox in 1930, and Omaha in 1935.
Who was the last filly to win a Triple Crown race?
- Rags to Riches won the Belmont Stakes in 1907. Winning Colors won the Kentucky Derby in 1988 and Tanya won the Belmont in 1905.
From shortest to longest, what is the order of the Triple Crown races?
- The Preakness is the shortest at 1 1/8 mi, the Derby is 1 1/4 mi, and the Belmont is 1 1/2 mi.