Health Trends Quiz
Kickboxing was popularized in the late 80s by what action star?
- Van Damme starred in Kickboxer in 1989.
Which of the following exercise machines are used in a Spinning® workout?
- Spinning classes often utilize music, group workouts, and motivational instruction.
Which of the following types of yoga is favored by western cultures?
- Hatha yoga stresses physical control and postures.
Endurance cyclist Johnny Goldberg, creator of the Spinning® program, is known by what nickname?
- Johnny G was named one of the "10 Most Influential People in Fitness" by Men's Fitness magazine.
Who developed the popular Tae-Bo workout, a program of aerobic kickboxing exercise?
- Tae-Bo exercises combine self-defense, aerobic dance and boxing.
- The Pilates Method was created in in the 1920s by physical trainer Joseph H. Pilates.
In yoga, what is the name of a spiritual guide?
- The guru gives initiation into spiritual practice and instructs disciples.
One of the latest yoga trends in the U.S. is a strenuous, fast-moving series of "posture flows." Which of the following is NOT a name for this type of yoga?
- Astanga and Power yoga involve the repetition of sun salutations, a vigorous set of movements that flow from one posture to another.
What is the emphasis of Tai Chi?
- Tai Chi movements are intended to allow ki (cosmic energy) to flow through one's body.
What is the name of the world's largest extreme sports tournament?
- The Summer X Games were established in 1995 by ESPN.