Do You Know Where These Animals Live?
The wood frog, which lives in the forest, has evolved to survive what extreme conditions?
- Found on the forest floors of the US and Canada, wood frogs can survive freezing alive once a year. Once the time of year is over, they thaw with no adverse affects.
Emperor penguins have evolved legs that are mostly hidden in their bodies, so that they can survive in what cold climate?
- Emperor Penguins can survive extreme temperatures, spending their mating season in -40 degrees in Antartica. In order to survive the cold, the penguins hang out in groups and share the warmth.
Which animal can live in any environment on Earth?
- Tardigrades (water bears), are found in every environment on Earth - from the deep sea to the highest mountains! These animals can mimick death and come back to life, suriving freezing temps, low oxygen, lack of water, and radiation.
How does the Peacock Spider of Australia track its prey?
- The peacock spider, which got its name from its colorful appearance, was discovered in Australia in 2015. It is only 5 mm in length!
The Pompeii Worm survives temperature differences of up to 200 degrees, allowing it to survive where?
- Pompeii Worms, first disovered in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of the Galpagos Islands, are fascinating! They rest with their tails in areas as hot as 176 degrees, while their heads rest in areas as cold as 77 degrees.
Which mammal lives the highest in the Himalayas?
- The pika, which looks like a rabbit with short ears, is found in both North America and Asia. They live about 6000 m high on the Himalayas, the highest any mammal is known to live.
Which island chain is famously home to many rare species, including local turtles and iguanas?
- Marine iguanas are only found on the Galpagos Islands (Ecuador). They forage the sea for algae, which makes up most of their diet.
The thorny devil of Australia has large back plates. How do they help it survive in the outback?
- The thorny devil is an 8-inch long lizard that can be found in Australia. Its colors change with the weather in order to help camouflage.
The Greenland Shark has evolved an incredibly slow metabolism to help it live where?
- Greenland sharks, found in the Atlantic Ocean, love arctic temperatures, making them the only sharks that thrive in cold temperatures all year. They're also the oldest fish, living up to 500 years!
The Axolotl is a rare amphibian that evolved in what hyper-specific environment?
- Axolotl can be found in Mexico and were once used as food for the Aztecs. They are neotenic, so they need high bodies of water in order to survive.