Global Warming Quiz
Which of the following is NOT a negative effect of global warming?
- Global warming also causes more severe storms and the acidification of the ocean.
Which of the following human activities does NOT release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere?
- In 2006, 82% of U.S. carbon emissions were from the combustion of energy fuels.
As air pollution continues to be released into the atmosphere, what becomes more depleted, resulting in an increase of ultraviolet radiation on earth?
- In 1987, the Montreal Protocol was signed and the signatory nations committed themselves to a reduction in the use of CFCs and other ozone-depleting substances.
Which of the following is a greenhouse gas that is released by human activities and speeds up global warming?
- Carbon emissions are projected to reach 7,958 million metric tons in 2030.
What country emits the most carbon dioxide?
- According to most recent figures, China emits more than 7,000,000 million metric tons of carbon dioxide a year.
As global warming continues, the intensity of what type of storm that hits coastlines is predicted to increase?
- Hurricanes are expected to increase in duration and intensity. Scientists have seen an increase in violent storms since the 1970s.
As carbon dioxide emissions increase, the ocean's ability to absorb carbon dioxide declines, resulting in a more acidic ocean. What species is the most at risk in acidic water?
- Many coral have skeletons of calcium carbonate, which grows well in the naturally alkaline ocean, but dissolves in acidic water.
Rising water temperatures is a result of global warming and may eventually increase sea levels due to the dissolving of what?
- Sea levels are predicted to rise 20 feet by 2050 if the polar ice cap continues to melt at the current rate.
What percentage of carbon dioxide that is emitted into the atmosphere is absorbed by the ocean?
- Carbon dioxide absorption is causing the sea-surface temperature to rise, consequently impacting marine wildlife and coastal land.
According to the Political Economy Research Institute, which of the following U.S. Forbes 500 companies is the worst air polluter?
- ExxonMobil is number two and Sunoco is ranked number three.