The zodiac marks
- The zodiac is a band of stars along the path that the sun seems to follow over the course of a year. "Zodiac" means "circle of life."
What is the largest constellation?
- Hydra, the Sea Serpent, is the largest constellation.
The appearance of this constellation in the East is the first sign of spring:
- The appearance of Leo in the eastern sky heralds the arrival of spring.
The Big Dipper is part of
- The Big Dipper is part of Ursa Major, the Great Bear.
What is the red star in the constellation Orion?
- Betelgeuse is the bright red star in the constellation Orion. (Rigel is a bright white star in Orion.)
The stars in this constellation form a "W":
- The five bright stars in the constellation Cassiopeia, the Queen, form a "W".
How many official constellations are there?
- In 1928 the International Astronomical Union declared that there are 88 official constellations.
In the United States, when can you see Orion in the evening?
- Orion is high in the night sky during the U.S. winter.
The very bright stars Alpha Centauri and Beta Centauri point toward
- Alpha Centauri and Beta Centauri point toward the famed Southern Cross, which appears on the flags of both Australia and New Zealand.
Sirius, the brightest star of all, is in
- Sirius, also known as the Dog Star, appears in Canis Major, the Great Dog.