Decade Quiz 1980s
How much crude oil flowed from the ruptured Exxon Valdez into Prince William Sound in 1989?
- 11 million gallons is enough oil to just about fill one of those huge oil tankers, but not enough to fill the World's Largest Ship.
The Berlin Wall came down in November of 1989 after standing for 28 years. How long was the actual wall?
- The Berlin Wall only had to separate East and West Berlin. Berlin is a big city, but not that big. The Great Wall of China runs about 4,000 miles but that was for an entire country.
Who shot J.R.?
- All real fans of Dallas had to know this one. After all Miss Ellie couldn't hurt her dear son, could she?
Former Beatle John Lennon was shot and killed on Dec. 8, 1980 by whom?
- John Hinckley was the guy who shot Ronald Reagan and Randolph Peter "Pete" Best was the guy who shot himself in the foot by getting dropped by the Beatles before they hit it big.
When Mike Dukakis earned the Democratic nomination for President in 1988, who was his running mate?
- Geraldine Ferraro was Walter Mondale's running mate in 1984 while Bill Clinton gave one of his longest, most boring speeches at the 1988 Democratic convention. His speech was so bad that when he said "In conclusion" he got a huge round of applause.
What was Jenny's number?
- Tommy Tutone's song about calling Jenny was a classic 80's pop hit. Most people don't know that Tommy Tutone was actually the name of a group, not a guy. The feature members were Tommy Heath and Jim Keller.
Iran finally freed 52 American hostages on Jan. 20, 1981 after holding them for how long?
- The Iranian Hostage Crisis lasted well over a year, despite a failed and bloody rescue attempt and steep economic sanctions.
What was the must-have holiday toy of 1983?
- The Rubik's Cube craze peaked in 1981-1982 and the Transformers didn't hit shelves in the U.S. until 1984.
Which of the following was the highest-grossing movie of the 1980's?
- Although Michael J. Fox was at the peak of his powers as the plucky everyman Marty McFly in Back to the Future and the film made a lot of money at the box office, E.T. is by far the earnings champ of the 80's. Jaws was made in the mid 70's.
Ronald Reagan named which of the following women as the first female justice of the U.S. Supreme Court on June 22, 1981?
- Sally Ride was the first American woman in space, while Susan Dey was the rocking sister of TV's The Partridge Family