Great Escapes: Famous Prison Breaks
Which prison is known for its famous escape in 1962?
- In 1962, three inmates managed to escape from the maximum-security prison on Alcatraz Island. The escape was so well planned that they left behind dummy heads in their beds to fool the guards. The fate of these inmates remains a mystery to this day.
Who was the American criminal that escaped from a high-security prison in Mexico in 2001?
- Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán was a notorious Mexican drug lord who escaped twice from prison, once in 2001 and again in 2015. In his 2001 escape, he bribed prison guards and hid in a laundry cart to leave the prison.
Which prison break inspired the 1979 movie "Escape from Alcatraz"?
- The Alcatraz Escape of 1962 inspired the movie "Escape from Alcatraz" starring Clint Eastwood. The movie depicts the escape plan of Frank Morris and the Anglin brothers who used spoons to dig through their cell walls.
Which prison break involved a helicopter escape in 1986?
- Michel Vaujour, a French robber, escaped from the French prison La Santé in 1986 with the help of his wife and a helicopter. His wife hijacked the helicopter and landed it in the prison yard where Vaujour was waiting.
Who was the famous American outlaw that escaped from jail by carving a gun from a bar of soap?
- Jesse James, the notorious outlaw, was once held in a Missouri jail where he carved a gun from a bar of soap and used it to threaten the guards. He then walked out of the jail and escaped.
Which prison break involved digging a tunnel in WWII?
- Stalag Luft III was a German prisoner of war camp during World War II. In 1944, a group of Allied prisoners dug a tunnel named "Harry" which was used to escape from the camp. This escape was later depicted in the movie "The Great Escape".
Who was the famous bank robber that escaped from prison using a rope ladder?
- Willie Sutton was a famous American bank robber who escaped from Eastern State Penitentiary in Pennsylvania in 1945. He used a rope ladder that was smuggled into the prison and climbed over the prison wall.
Which prison break involved a fake gun made from soap and toilet paper?
- Maze Prison, located in Northern Ireland, was the site of a famous prison break in 1983. The escapees used a fake gun made from soap and toilet paper to threaten the guards and escape.
Who was the infamous criminal that escaped from authorities in Florida in 1978?
- Ted Bundy, the American serial killer, escaped from a Colorado prison in 1977 but was recaptured. In 1978, he escaped from Florida holding by slipping through an unlocked and unguarded door.
Which prison break involved a Hollywood actor?
- The Texas 7 was a group of prisoners who escaped from a Texas prison in 2000. One of the members, Randy Quaid, was a Hollywood actor who was serving time for burglary. The group was eventually caught in Colorado.