Quiz: Edgar Allan Poe's Life and Times
What was the title of Poe's first published work?
- "Tamerlane and Other Poems". This collection of poems was published in 1827.
What was the name of Poe's mother?
- Maria, Poe's mother, died when he was just three years old.
Which of the following is NOT a common theme in Poe's works?
- Familial love is not a common theme in Poe's works, although many of his stories and poems deal with unrequited affection and the pain of separation between lovers.
How many years did Poe live?
- Poe was born in 1809 and died in 1849 at the age of 40.
What was Poe's occupation before he became a writer?
- Poe worked as a newspaper journalist, editor, and critic before he became a full-time writer.
What was the cause of Poe's death?
- The cause of Poe's death is still a mystery, although alcoholism is often cited as a contributing factor.
What is the name of Poe's only completed novel?
- "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket". This novel, published in 1838, was not a commercial success.
What was the name of Poe's wife?
- Poe married his cousin Virginia Eliza Clemm when she was just 13 years old.
In which city was Edgar Allan Poe born?
- Poe was actually born in Boston, but he considered Baltimore his hometown.
What was the name of the medical institution that Poe died in?
- After being found delirious in the streets of Baltimore, Poe was taken to the Washington Medical College and later died there on October 7, 1849.