tropic: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (trop'ik), [key]
- either of two corresponding parallels of latitude on the terrestrial globe, one(tropic of Cancer)about 2312° N, and the other(tropic of Capricorn)about 2312° S of the equator, being the boundaries of the Torrid Zone. See diag. underzone.
- the tropics,the regions lying between and near these parallels of latitude; the Torrid Zone and neighboring regions.
- either of two circles on the celestial sphere, one lying in the same plane as the tropic of Cancer, the other in the same plane as the tropic of Capricorn.
- of, pertaining to, characteristic of, or occurring in the tropics; tropical: romance under the tropic skies of Old Mexico.
- a combining form with the meanings “turned toward, with an orientation toward” that specified by the initial element (geotropic), “having an affinity for, affecting” what is specified (lipotropic; neurotropic; psychotropic), “affecting the activity of, maintaining” a specified organ (gonadotropic). Cf.
- tropic (Thesaurus)