pretension: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pri-ten'shun), [key]
- the laying of a claim to something.
- a claim or title to something.
- Often,a claim made, esp. indirectly or by implication, to some quality, merit, or the like: They laughed at my pretensions to superior judgment.
- a claim to dignity, importance, or merit.
- the act of pretending or alleging.
- an allegation of doubtful veracity.
- a pretext.
Pronunciation: (prē-ten'shun), [key]
- (in prestressed-concrete construction) to apply tension to (reinforcing strands) before the concrete is poured. Cf.(def. 1).
- to make (a concrete member) with pretensioned reinforcement.
- pretension (Thesaurus)