pretense: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pri-tens', prē'tens), [key]
- pretending or feigning; make-believe: My sleepiness was all pretense.
- a false show of something: a pretense of friendship.
- a piece of make-believe.
- the act of pretending or alleging falsely.
- a false allegation or justification: He excused himself from the lunch on a pretense of urgent business.
- insincere or false profession: His pious words were mere pretense.
- the putting forth of an unwarranted claim.
- the claim itself.
- any allegation or claim: to obtain money under false pretenses.
- pretension (usually fol. by to): destitute of any pretense to wit.
- pretense (Thesaurus)