kernel: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kr'nl), [key]
? n., v., -neled, -nel•ing -nelled, -nel•ling.
- the softer, usually edible part contained in the shell of a nut or the stone of a fruit.
- the body of a seed within its husk or integuments.
- a whole seed grain, as of wheat or corn.
- the pit or seed of a peach, cherry, plum, etc.
- the central or most important part of anything; essence; gist; core: His leadership is the kernel of the organization.
- the set of elements that a given function from one set to a second set maps into the identity of the second set.
- Also calledthe remainder of an atom after the valence electrons have been removed.
- to enclose as a kernel.
- kernel (Thesaurus)