WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. kernel, meat, plant part, plant structure
- usage: the inner and usually edible part of a seed or grain or nut or fruit stone; "black walnut kernels are difficult to get out of the shell"
- 2. kernel, grain, caryopsis
- usage: a single whole grain of a cereal; "a kernel of corn"
- 3. kernel, substance, core, center, centre, essence, gist, heart, heart and soul, inwardness, marrow, meat, nub, pith, sum, nitty-gritty, content, cognitive content, mental object
- usage: the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience; "the gist of the prosecutor's argument"; "the heart and soul of the Republican Party"; "the nub of the story"
All rights reserved.
See also: kernel (Dictionary)