Meaning of kern
- a part of the face of a type projecting beyond the body or shank, as in certain italic letters.
- to form or furnish with a kern, as a type or letter.
- to remove a portion of space between (adjacent letters) in preparation for printing.
- the central area of any horizontal section of a wall, column, etc., within which the resultant forces of all compressive loads must pass if there is to be only compression at that point.
- a band of lightly armed foot soldiers of ancient Ireland.
- (in Ireland and the Scottish Highlands) a soldier.
- an Irish peasant, esp. a crude or boorish one.
- (of a tree or plant) to produce or form kernels, hard grain, or seed.
- to cause to granulate, esp. to granulate salt.
- to cover with crystalline grains of salt; salt (meat).
- a kernel, as of a nut; a grain, as of sand or wheat.
- 1885–1945, U.S. composer.
- kern (Thesaurus)