Meaning of individual
Pronunciation: (in"du-vij'-ul), [key]
- a single human being, as distinguished from a group.
- a person: a strange individual.
- a distinct, indivisible entity; a single thing, being, instance, or item.
- a group considered as a unit.
- a single organism capable of independent existence.
- a member of a compound organism or colony.
- a duplicate-bridge tournament in which each player plays the same number of hands in partnership with every other player, individual scores for each player being kept for each hand.
- single; particular; separate: to number individual copies of a limited edition.
- intended for the use of one person only: to serve individual portions of a pizza.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a particular person or thing: individual tastes.
- distinguished by special, singular, or markedly personal characteristics; exhibiting unique or unusual qualities: a highly individual style of painting.
- existing as a distinct, indivisible entity, or considered as such; discrete: individual parts of a tea set.
- of which each is different or of a different design from the others: a set of individual coffee cups.
- individual (Thesaurus)