Meaning of individualism
Pronunciation: (in"du-vij'-u-liz"um), [key]
- a social theory advocating the liberty, rights, or independent action of the individual.
- the principle or habit of or belief in independent thought or action.
- the pursuit of individual rather than common or collective interests; egoism.
- individual character; individuality.
- an individual peculiarity.
- the doctrine that only individual things are real.
- the doctrine or belief that all actions are determined by, or at least take place for, the benefit of the individual, not of society as a whole.
- individualism (Thesaurus)