Meaning of gather
Pronunciation: (ga'ur), [key]
- to bring together into one group, collection, or place: to gather firewood; to gather the troops.
- to bring together or assemble from various places, sources, or people; collect gradually: The college is gathering a faculty from all over the country.
- to serve as a center of attention for; attract: A good football game always gathers a crowd.
- to pick or harvest (any crop or natural yield) from its place of growth or formation: to gather fruit; to gather flowers.
- to pick up piece by piece: Gather your toys from the floor.
- to pick or scoop up: She gathered the crying child in her arms.
- to collect (as taxes, dues, money owed, etc.).
- to accumulate; increase: The storm gathers force. The car gathered speed.
- to take by selection from among other things; sort out; cull.
- to assemble or collect (one's energies or oneself&hasp;) as for an effort (often fol. by up): He gathered up his strength for the hard job.
- to learn or conclude from observation; infer; deduce: I gather that he is the real leader.
- to wrap or draw around or close: He gathered his scarf around his neck.
- to contract (the brow) into wrinkles.
- to draw (cloth) up on a thread in fine folds or puckers by means of even stitches.
- to assemble (the printed sections of a book) in proper sequence for binding.
- to gain (way) from a dead stop or extremely slow speed.
- to increase the sectional area of (stock) by any of various operations.
- to accumulate or collect (molten glass) at the end of a tube for blowing, shaping, etc.
- to come together around a central point; assemble: Let's gather round the fire and sing.
- to collect or accumulate: Clouds were gathering in the northeast.
- to grow, as by accretion; increase.
- to become contracted into wrinkles, folds, creases, etc., as the brow or as cloth.
- to come to a head, as a sore in suppurating.
- to die.
- a drawing together; contraction.
- Often,a fold or pucker, as in gathered cloth.
- an act or instance of gathering.
- an amount or number gathered, as during a harvest.
- a mass of molten glass attached to the end of a punty.
- gather (Thesaurus)