Meaning of eccentric
Pronunciation: (ik-sen'trik, ek-), [key]
- deviating from the recognized or customary character, practice, etc.; irregular; erratic; peculiar; odd: eccentric conduct; an eccentric person.
- not having the same center; not concentric: used esp. of two circles or spheres at least one of which contains the centers of both.
- (of an axis, axle, etc.) not situated in the center.
- having the axis or support away from the center: an eccentric wheel.
- deviating from a circular form, as an elliptic orbit.
- a person who has an unusual, peculiar, or odd personality, set of beliefs, or behavior pattern.
- something that is unusual, peculiar, or odd.
- a device for converting circular motion into rectilinear motion, consisting of a disk fixed somewhat off-center to a revolving shaft, and working freely in a surrounding collar to which a rod is attached.
- eccentric (Thesaurus)