deviate: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (v.dē'vē-āt"adj., n.dē'vē-it), [key]
— v., adj., n. -at•ed, -at•ing,
- to turn aside, as from a route, way, course, etc.
- to depart or swerve, as from a procedure, course of action, or acceptable norm.
- to digress, as from a line of thought or reasoning.
- to cause to swerve; turn aside.
- characterized by deviation or departure from an accepted norm or standard, as of behavior.
- a person or thing that departs from the accepted norm or standard.
- a person whose sexual behavior departs from the norm in a way that is considered socially or morally unacceptable.
- a variable equal to the difference between a variate and some fixed value, often the mean.
- deviate (Thesaurus)