Meaning of deviation
Pronunciation: (dē"vē-ā'shun), [key]
- the act of deviating.
- departure from a standard or norm.
- the difference between one of a set of values and some fixed value, usually the mean of the set.
- the error of a magnetic compass, as that of a ship, on a given heading as a result of local magnetism. Cf. variation (def. 8).
- Also calleddeflection.the bending of rays of light away from a straight line.
- Seeangle of deviation.
- departure or divergence from an established dogma or ideology, esp. a Communist one.
- deviation (Thesaurus)