conversion: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kun-vûr'zhun, -shun), [key]
- the act or process of converting; state of being converted.
- change in character, form, or function.
- spiritual change from sinfulness to righteousness.
- change from one religion, political belief, viewpoint, etc., to another.
- a change of attitude, emotion, or viewpoint from one of indifference, disbelief, or antagonism to one of acceptance, faith, or enthusiastic support, esp. such a change in a person's religion.
- a physical transformation from one material or state to another: conversion of coal, water, and air into nylon.
- the act of obtaining equivalent value, as of money or units of measurement, in an exchange or calculation: conversion of francs into dollars.
- a physical, structural, or design change or transformation from one state or condition to another, esp. to effect a change in function: conversion of a freighter into a passenger liner.
- a substitution of one component for another so as to effect a change: conversion from oil heat to gas heat.
- a change in the form or units of an expression.
- the transposition of the subject and predicate of a proposition, as “No good man is unhappy” becomes by conversion “No unhappy man is good.”
- unauthorized assumption and exercise of rights of ownership over personal property belonging to another.
- change from realty into personalty, or vice versa, as in the sale or purchase of land or mining coal.
- a score made on a try for a point after touchdown by place-kicking or drop-kicking the ball over the bar between the goalposts or by completing a pass in or running the ball into the end zone.
- the process by which a repressed psychic event, idea, feeling, memory, or impulse is represented by a bodily change or symptom.
- the production of radioactive material in a process in which one nuclear fuel is converted into another by the capture of neutrons. Cf. breeding (def. 6).
- the process of changing software designed to run on one computer system to run on another.
- the change from an existing computer system to a new computer system.
- the act of transferring or copying data stored on one storage medium to another storage medium.
- the process of changing the base that a number or numbers are written in.
- the transformation of material from a form suitable for printing by one process to a form suitable for another process: a halftone gravure conversion.
- conversion (Thesaurus)