converse: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (v.kun-vûrs'n.kon'vûrs), [key]
— v., n. -versed, -vers•ing,
- to talk informally with another or others; exchange views, opinions, etc., by talking.
- to maintain a familiar association (usually fol. by with).
- to have sexual intercourse (usually fol. by with).
- familiar discourse or talk; conversation.
Pronunciation: (adj.kun-vûrs', kon'vûrsn.kon'vûrs), [key]
- opposite or contrary in direction, action, sequence, etc.; turned around.
- something opposite or contrary.
- a proposition obtained from another proposition by conversion.
- the relation between two terms, one of which is related to the other in a given manner, as “younger than” to “older than.”
- a group of words correlative with a preceding group but having a significant pair of terms interchanged, as “hot in winter but cold in summer” and “cold in winter but hot in summer.”
Pronunciation: (kon'vûrs), [key]
- 1871–1940, U.S. composer.
- converse (Thesaurus)