Meaning of constitution
Pronunciation: (kon"sti-t'shun, -ty'-), [key]
- the way in which a thing is composed or made up; makeup; composition: the chemical constitution of the cleanser.
- the physical character of the body as to strength, health, etc.: He has a strong constitution.
- the aggregate of a person's physical and psychological characteristics.
- the act or process of constituting; establishment.
- the state of being constituted; formation.
- any established arrangement or custom.
- (cap.) See
- the system of fundamental principles according to which a nation, state, corporation, or the like, is governed.
- the document embodying these principles.
- character or condition of mind; disposition; temperament.
- an American 44-gun frigate, famous for its exploits in the War of 1812 and popularly called “Old Ironsides.”
- constitution (Thesaurus)