calm: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (käm older kam spelling pron. kälm), [key]
— adj., n., v. -er, -est,
- without rough motion; still or nearly still: a calm sea.
- not windy or stormy: a calm day.
- free from excitement or passion; tranquil: a calm face; a calm manner.
- freedom from motion or disturbance; stillness.
- wind speed of less than 1 mph (0.447 m/sec).
- freedom from agitation, excitement, or passion; tranquillity; serenity: She faced the possibility of death with complete calm.
- to make calm: He calmed the excited dog.
- to become calm (usually fol. by down).
- calm (Thesaurus)