Synonyms of calm
- 1. composure, calm, calmness, equanimity, disposition, temperament
- usage: steadiness of mind under stress; "he accepted their problems with composure and she with equanimity"
- 2. calm air, calm, wind, air current, current of air
- usage: wind moving at less than 1 knot; 0 on the Beaufort scale
- 1. calm, calm down, quiet, tranquilize, tranquillize, tranquillise, quieten, lull, still, comfort, soothe, console, solace
- usage: make calm or still; "quiet the dragons of worry and fear"
- 2. steady, calm, becalm, stabilize, stabilise
- usage: make steady; "steady yourself"
- 3. calm, calm down, cool off, chill out, simmer down, settle down, cool it, change state, turn
- usage: become quiet or calm, especially after a state of agitation; "After the fight both men need to cool off."; "It took a while after the baby was born for things to settle down again."
- 4. sedate, calm, tranquilize, tranquillize, tranquillise, affect
- usage: cause to be calm or quiet as by administering a sedative to; "The patient must be sedated before the operation"
- 1. calm, unagitated, serene, tranquil, composed (vs. discomposed)
- usage: not agitated; without losing self-possession; "spoke in a calm voice"; "remained calm throughout the uproar"; "he remained serene in the midst of turbulence"; "a serene expression on her face"; "she became more tranquil"; "tranquil life in the country"
- 2. calm (vs. stormy), placid, quiet, still, tranquil, smooth, unruffled, settled, windless, peaceful#1, peaceable
- usage: (of weather) free from storm or wind; "calm seas"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of calm (Dictionary)