Top News Stories from 1914
- World War I begins: Austria declares war on Serbia; Germany on Russia and France; Britain on Germany.
- Austrian Archduke Francis Ferdinand and wife Sophie assassinated in Sarajevo by Serbian nationalist Gavrilo Princip.
- Panama Canal is officially opened after 10 years of construction.
President: Woodrow Wilson
Vice President: Thomas R. Marshall
Population: 99,111,000More U.S. Statistics...
- Congress sets up Federal Trade Commission, passes Clayton Antitrust Act.
- U.S. Marines occupy Veracruz, Mexico, intervening in civil war to protect American interests.
- The world's first red and green traffic lights are installed in Cleveland.
Federal spending: $0.73 billion
Consumer Price Index: $10
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.02
World SeriesBoston Braves d. Philadelphia A's (4-0)
Stanley CupToronto Blueshirts (NHA)
WimbledonWomen: Dorothea Chambers d. E. Larcombe (7-5 6-4)
Men: Norman Brookes d. T. Wilding (6-4 6-4 7-5)
Kentucky Derby ChampionOld Rosebud
NCAA Football ChampionsArmy (9-0-0)
- In his second big-screen appearance, Charlie Chaplin plays the Little Tramp, his most famous character.
- Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan of the Apes published.
- Winsor McCay unleashes Gertie the Dinosaur, the first animated cartoon.
Nobel Prizes in Science
Chemistry: Theodore W. Richards (US), for determining atomic weight of many chemical elements
Physics: Max von Laue (Germany), for discovery of diffraction of Roentgen rays passing through crystals
Physiology or Medicine: Robert Bárány (Austria), for work on physiology and pathology of the vestibular systemMore Nobel Prizes in 1998...
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.