Top News Stories from 1915
- British oceanliner Lusitania sunk by German submarine, 1,195 perish.
- Second Battle of Ypres is fought. Background: World War I
- Genocide of estimated 600,000 to 1 million Armenians by Turkish soldiers.
President: Woodrow Wilson
Vice President: Thomas R. Marshall
Population: 100,546,000More U.S. Statistics...
- The one millionth Ford automobile rolls off the assembly line.
- The Superior Court in Fulton County, Ga. accepts the charter for the establishment of the new Ku Klux Klan (Dec. 4).
Federal spending: $0.75 billion
Consumer Price Index: $10.1
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.02
World SeriesBoston Red Sox d. Philadelphia Phillies (4-1)
Stanley CupVancouver Millionaires (PCHA)
Kentucky Derby ChampionRegret
NCAA Football ChampionsCornell (9-0-0)
Nobel Prize for Literature: Romain Rolland (France)More Entertainment Awards...
- D.W. Griffith's technically brilliant Civil War epic, The Birth of a Nation, introduces the narrative close-up, the flashback and other elements that endure today as the structural principles of narrative filmmaking.
- Ruth St. Denis and her husband, Ted Shawn, establish the Denishawn dance school in Los Angeles, where Martha Graham and Doris Humphrey study.
- Audrey Munson, playing a model for a sculptor in the film Inspiration, becomes the first actress to shed her clothes on screen.
Nobel Prizes in Science
Chemistry: Richard Willstätter (Germany), for research into coloring matter of plants, especially chlorophyll
Physics: None awarded
Physics: Sir William Bragg and William L. Bragg (UK), for analysis of crystal structure by X-raysMore Nobel Prizes in 1998...