WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. uncertain (vs. certain), unsure (vs. sure), incertain, ambivalent, doubtful, dubious, groping
- usage: lacking or indicating lack of confidence or assurance; "uncertain of his convictions"; "unsure of himself and his future"; "moving with uncertain (or unsure) steps"; "an uncertain smile"; "touched the ornaments with uncertain fingers"
- 2. uncertain (vs. certain), indefinite, up in the air, indeterminate#1, undetermined
- usage: not established beyond doubt; still undecided or unknown; "an uncertain future"; "a manuscript of uncertain origin"; "plans are still uncertain"; "changes of great if uncertain consequences"; "without further evidence his story must remain uncertain"
- 3. unsealed (vs. sealed), uncertain
- usage: not established or confirmed; "his doom is as yet unsealed"
- 4. uncertain (vs. certain), chancy, fluky, flukey, iffy, contingent, up in the air, unpredictable
- usage: not certain to occur; not inevitable; "everything is uncertain about the army"; "the issue is uncertain"
- 5. changeable, uncertain, unsettled, variable (vs. invariable)
- usage: subject to change; "a changeable climate"; "the weather is uncertain"; "unsettled weather with rain and hail and sunshine coming one right after the other"
- 6. uncertain, unreliable (vs. reliable), undependable (vs. dependable)
- usage: not consistent or dependable; "an uncertain recollection of events"; "a gun with a rather uncertain trigger"
- 7. uncertain, ambiguous (vs. unambiguous)
- usage: ambiguous (especially in the negative); "she spoke in no uncertain terms"
All rights reserved.
See also: uncertain (Dictionary)