- 1. anneal, temper, normalize, harden, indurate
- usage: bring to a desired consistency, texture, or hardness by a process of gradually heating and cooling; "temper glass"
- 2. temper, harden, modify
- usage: harden by reheating and cooling in oil; "temper steel"
- 3. temper, adjust, set, correct
- usage: adjust the pitch (of pianos)
- 4. temper, season, mollify, weaken
- usage: make more temperate, acceptable, or suitable by adding something else; moderate; "she tempered her criticism"
- 5. chasten, moderate, temper, change, alter, modify
- usage: restrain
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. tempered (vs. untempered), treated, hardened, toughened, curable, sunbaked
- usage: made hard or flexible or resilient especially by heat treatment; "a sword of tempered steel"; "tempered glass"
- 2. tempered (vs. untempered)
- usage: adjusted or attuned by adding a counterbalancing element; "criticism tempered with kindly sympathy"
All rights reserved.
See also: tempered (Dictionary)