tempered: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (tem'purd), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- having a temper or disposition of a specified character (usually used in combination): a good-tempered child.
- tuned in accordance with some other temperament than just or pure temperament, esp. tuned in equal temperament.
- made less intense or violent, esp. by the influence of something good or benign: justice tempered with mercy.
- properly moistened or mixed, as clay.
- of or pertaining to steel or cast iron that has been tempered.