WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. starter, starter motor, starting motor, electric motor
- usage: an electric motor for starting an engine
- 2. starter, contestant
- usage: a contestant in a team sport who is in the game at the beginning
- 3. starter, dispatcher, official
- usage: the official who signals the beginning of a race or competition
- 4. newcomer, fledgling, fledgeling, starter, neophyte, freshman, newbie, entrant, novice, beginner, tyro, tiro, initiate
- usage: any new participant in some activity
- 5. appetizer, appetiser, starter, course
- usage: food or drink to stimulate the appetite (usually served before a meal or as the first course)
- 6. crank, starter, hand tool
- usage: a hand tool consisting of a rotating shaft with parallel handle
- 7. starter, culture
- usage: a culture containing yeast or bacteria that is used to start the process of fermentation or souring in making butter or cheese or dough; "to make sourdough you need a starter"
All rights reserved.
See also: starter (Dictionary)