starter: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (stär'tur), [key]
- a person or thing that starts.
- a person who gives the signal to begin, as for a race, the running of a train, bus, elevator, etc.
- a device that starts an internal-combustion engine without a need for cranking by hand.
- a person or thing that starts in a race or contest: Only five starters finished the race.
- a culture of bacteria used to start a particular fermentation, as in the manufacture of cheese, buttermilk, sour cream, etc.
- sourdough (def. 1).
- a shill, as at a gaming table in a casino.
- the card turned face up on the stack before the play.
- as the first step or part; initially; first: We will have soup for starters. For starters, he doesn't even know how to drive.
- constituting a basis or beginning: a starter set of dishes; a starter home.
- starter (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.