WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. spinal column, vertebral column, spine, backbone, back, rachis, skeletal structure
- usage: the series of vertebrae forming the axis of the skeleton and protecting the spinal cord; "the fall broke his back"
- 2. spur, spine, acantha, projection
- usage: any sharply pointed projection
- 3. spine, thorn, prickle, pricker, sticker, spikelet, aculeus
- usage: a small sharp-pointed tip resembling a spike on a stem or leaf
- 4. spine, backbone, part, portion
- usage: the part of a book's cover that encloses the inner side of the book's pages and that faces outward when the book is shelved; "the title and author were printed on the spine of the book"
- 5. spine, process, outgrowth, appendage
- usage: a sharp rigid animal process or appendage; as a porcupine quill or a ridge on a bone or a ray of a fish fin
All rights reserved.
See also: spine (Dictionary)