- 1. scattering, sprinkling, small indefinite quantity, small indefinite amount
- usage: a small number (of something) dispersed haphazardly; "the first scatterings of green"; "a sprinkling of grey at his temples"
- 2. scattering, natural process, natural action, action, activity
- usage: the physical process in which particles are deflected haphazardly as a result of collisions
- 3. scattering, sprinkle, sprinkling, shower, rain shower
- usage: a light shower that falls in some locations and not others nearby
- 4. dispersion, scattering, spread, spreading
- usage: spreading widely or driving off
- 5. scatter, scattering, strewing, spread, spreading
- usage: the act of scattering
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. disperse, dissipate, dispel, break up, scatter, separate, divide
- usage: to cause to separate and go in different directions; "She waved her hand and scattered the crowds"
- 2. disperse, dissipate, scatter, spread out, separate, part, split
- usage: move away from each other; "The crowds dispersed"; "The children scattered in all directions when the teacher approached";
- 3. scatter, sprinkle, dot, dust, disperse, discharge
- usage: distribute loosely; "He scattered gun powder under the wagon"
- 4. scatter, sow, seed
- usage: sow by scattering; "scatter seeds"
- 5. break up, disperse, scatter, change integrity
- usage: cause to separate; "break up kidney stones"; "disperse particles"
- 6. spread, scatter, spread out, circulate, pass around, pass on, distribute
- usage: strew or distribute over an area; "He spread fertilizer over the lawn"; "scatter cards across the table"
All rights reserved.
See also: scattering (Dictionary)