Synonyms of purpose
- 1. purpose, intent, intention, aim, design, goal, end
- usage: an anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions; "his intent was to provide a new translation"; "good intentions are not enough"; "it was created with the conscious aim of answering immediate needs"; "he made no secret of his designs"
- 2. function, purpose, role, use, utility, usefulness
- usage: what something is used for; "the function of an auger is to bore holes"; "ballet is beautiful but what use is it?"
- 3. determination, purpose, resoluteness, firmness, firmness of purpose, resolve, resolution
- usage: the quality of being determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose; "his determination showed in his every movement"; "he is a man of purpose"
- 1. aim, purpose, purport, propose, intend, mean, think
- usage: propose or intend; "I aim to arrive at noon"
- 2. purpose, resolve, decide, make up one's mind, determine
- usage: reach a decision; "he resolved never to drink again"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of purpose (Dictionary)