purpose: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pûr'pus), [key]
— n., v., -posed, -pos•ing.
- the reason for which something exists or is done, made, used, etc.
- an intended or desired result; end; aim; goal.
- determination; resoluteness.
- the subject in hand; the point at issue.
- practical result, effect, or advantage: to act to good purpose.
- by design; intentionally: How could you do such a thing on purpose?
- relevant; to the point: Her objections were not to the purpose.
- to set as an aim, intention, or goal for oneself.
- to intend; design.
- to resolve (to do something): He purposed to change his way of life radically.
- to have a purpose.
- purpose (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.