- 1. provincial, official, functionary
- usage: (Roman Catholic Church) an official in charge of an ecclesiastical province acting under the superior general of a religious order; "the general of the Jesuits receives monthly reports from the provincials"
- 2. peasant, provincial, bucolic, rustic
- usage: a country person
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. provincial
- usage: of or associated with a province; "provincial government"
- 2. provincial (vs. cosmopolitan), bumpkinly, hick, rustic, unsophisticated, corn-fed, insular, parochial, jerkwater, one-horse, pokey, poky, stay-at-home(prenominal)
- usage: characteristic of the provinces or their people; "deeply provincial and conformist"; "in that well-educated company I felt uncomfortably provincial"; "narrow provincial attitudes"
All rights reserved.
See also: provincial (Dictionary)