provincial: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pru-vin'shul), [key]
- belonging or peculiar to some particular province; local: the provincial newspaper.
- of or pertaining to the provinces: provincial customs; provincial dress.
- having or showing the manners, viewpoints, etc., considered characteristic of unsophisticated inhabitants of a province; rustic; narrow or illiberal; parochial: a provincial point of view.
- (often cap.)noting or pertaining to the styles of architecture, furniture, etc., found in the provinces, esp. when imitating styles currently or formerly in fashion in or around the capital: Italian Provincial.
- of or pertaining to any of the American provinces of Great Britain.
- a person who lives in or comes from the provinces.
- a person who lacks urban sophistication or broad-mindedness.
- the head of an ecclesiastical province.
- a member of a religious order presiding over the order in a given district or province.
- provincial (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.