Synonyms of profess
- 1. profess, claim
- usage: practice as a profession, teach, or claim to be knowledgeable about; "She professes organic chemistry"
- 2. profess, declare
- usage: confess one's faith in, or allegiance to; "The terrorists professed allegiance to their country"; "he professes to be a Communist"
- 3. concede, profess, confess, admit, acknowledge
- usage: admit (to a wrongdoing); "She confessed that she had taken the money"
- 4. profess, declare
- usage: state freely; "The teacher professed that he was not generous when it came to giving good grades"
- 5. profess, accept, admit, take, take on
- usage: receive into a religious order or congregation
- 6. profess, vow
- usage: take vows, as in religious order; "she professed herself as a nun"
- 7. profess, pretend, claim
- usage: state insincerely; "He professed innocence but later admitted his guilt"; "She pretended not to have known the suicide bomber"; "She pretends to be an expert on wine"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of profess (Dictionary)