- 1. predominate, dominate, rule, reign, prevail
- usage: be larger in number, quantity, power, status or importance; "Money reigns supreme here"; "Hispanics predominate in this neighborhood"
- 2. loom, tower, predominate, hulk, rise, lift, rear
- usage: appear very large or occupy a commanding position; "The huge sculpture predominates over the fountain"; "Large shadows loomed on the canyon wall"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. overriding, paramount, predominant, predominate, preponderant, preponderating, dominant (vs. subordinate)
- usage: having superior power and influence; "the predominant mood among policy-makers is optimism"
All rights reserved.
See also: predominate (Dictionary)