Synonyms of powerful
- 1. powerful (vs. powerless), almighty, all-powerful, omnipotent, coercive, compelling, mighty, muscular, potent, strong, puissant, regent(postnominal), regnant, reigning, ruling, effective#1, effectual#1, efficacious, potent#3, strong#4, stiff, strong
- usage: having great power or force or potency or effect; "the most powerful government in western Europe"; "his powerful arms"; "a powerful bomb"; "the horse's powerful kick"; "powerful drugs"; "a powerful argument"
- 2. knock-down(prenominal), powerful, strong (vs. weak)
- usage: strong enough to knock down or overwhelm; "a knock-down blow"
- 3. potent, powerful, influential (vs. uninfluential)
- usage: having great influence
- 4. brawny, hefty, muscular, powerful, sinewy, strong (vs. weak)
- usage: (of a person) possessing physical strength and weight; rugged and powerful; "a hefty athlete"; "a muscular boxer"; "powerful arms"
- 5. herculean, powerful, superhuman (vs. subhuman)
- usage: displaying superhuman strength or power; "herculean exertions"
- 1. mighty, mightily, powerful, right
- usage: (Southern regional intensive) very; to a great degree; "the baby is mighty cute"; "he's mighty tired"; "it is powerful humid"; "that boy is powerful big now"; "they have a right nice place"; "they rejoiced mightily"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of powerful (Dictionary)