- 1. orbit, celestial orbit, path, route, itinerary
- usage: the (usually elliptical) path described by one celestial body in its revolution about another; "he plotted the orbit of the moon"
- 2. sphere, domain, area, orbit, field, arena, environment
- usage: a particular environment or walk of life; "his social sphere is limited"; "it was a closed area of employment"; "he's out of my orbit"
- 3. scope, range, reach, orbit, compass, ambit, extent
- usage: an area in which something acts or operates or has power or control: "the range of a supersonic jet"; "a piano has a greater range than the human voice"; "the ambit of municipal legislation"; "within the compass of this article"; "within the scope of an investigation"; "outside the reach of the law"; "in the political orbit of a world power"
- 4. orbit, electron orbit, path, route, itinerary
- usage: the path of an electron around the nucleus of an atom
- 5. eye socket, orbit, cranial orbit, orbital cavity, cavity, bodily cavity, cavum
- usage: the bony cavity in the skull containing the eyeball
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. orb, orbit, revolve, circle, circulate
- usage: move in an orbit; "The moon orbits around the Earth"; "The planets are orbiting the sun"; "electrons orbit the nucleus"
All rights reserved.
See also: orbit (Dictionary)